The Legal Services Staff Association and Legal Services NYC have reached agreement on a Covid sick leave policy and a contract tracing policy. The text of the agreements are as follows:
- For staff who have Covid: covered by Covid Sick Leave during the time they are actually ill. Staff are required to complete the Guardian Life Insurance sick leave request form within 10 business days. (If this completed form is not provided within 10 business days, “Covid Sick Leave” ends.) If employee remains unable to work, the employee transitions to Long Term Disability after 180 days and Covid Sick Leave ends.
December 31, 2020 February 28, 2021 April 15, 2021 August 15, 2021September 30, 2021, staff who are quarantining, or caring for a household member who has Covid or is quarantining because of Covid: covered by Covid Sick Leave under this policy during the time of illness or quarantine period. Documentation is not required under this provision unless you become unable to work, in which case you become covered under the first bullet point above.
- If an employee gets a vaccine and side effects render them unable to work, they can take Covid Sick Leave.
- “Covid Sick Leave” will not be deducted from your sick leave balance. Your sick leave accruals will continue as normal.
*The time period for bullet #2 was extended from Dec 31 to Feb 28 on 12/23/2020, further extended on 3/12/21 to April 15 (retroactive to 2/28), further extended on 4/7/21 to August 15, further extended on 7/22/21 to September 30, 2021.
*Bullet 3 providing Covid Sick Leave for employees with vaccine-related symptoms was added to this policy on March 25, 2021
Contact Tracing Policy (11/16/2020)
Due to the possibility that someone who has contracted COVID-19 may visit a LSNYC office or an office housing a LSNYC office, the union and LSNYC will establish a contract tracing joint committee to enhance current procedures for implementing the NY Forward Safety Plan requirements of tracing and notifying close contacts. The committee will develop procedures for the following purposes:
- Identifying anyone who was in the office at the same time, and if appropriate, anyone in the building at the same time
- Notifying those who have been possibly exposed
- Protecting the confidentiality of the COVID-positive person(s)
- Ensuring compliance with NYS requirements, including the requirement that if a worker tests positive for COVID, LSNYC must immediately notify state and local health departments and cooperate with tracing efforts, including notification of potential contacts, such as workers or visitors who had close contact with the individual, while maintaining confidentiality required by state and federal laws and regulations
- Ensuring contact tracing activities are thorough and timely
- Periodically reviewing of the efficacy of office screening and tracing procedures
- Identifying potential outside resources to conduct contact tracing should LSNYC reach Phase 3 of the RTO plan, at the discretion of the committee, or should LSNYC need additional resources.
LSNYC commits that no blame or retaliation will be meted out and appropriate care and follow up plans will be initiated.
All workers will be notified of the contact tracing committee members through a periodic broadcast communication from management and through regular communications channels.
The committee will identify training(s) designed for organizations on contact tracing policies, procedures, and ethics. Committee members and Human Resources/Directors of Administration points of contact will complete the training program(s) that the committee determines appropriate based on the committee members’ or HR/DA point of contact’s respective role in contact tracing policy or practice.
While LSNYC offices remain in stages 0-2, bi-weekly reports on contact tracing effectiveness and any potential work-related exposures will be supplied to the joint Citywide COVID Committee. Weekly reports on contact tracing effectiveness and any potential work-related exposures will be supplied to the joint Citywide COVID Committee when LSNYC offices enter stage 3 and beyond. Reports will be supplied whether or not any incident(s) requiring contact tracing occurred during the period.